Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Yummy Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I love Blueberries. They're so good for you! About 80 calories a cup and virtually no fat. They contain natural polyphenols which are an anti inflammatory and an antioxidant and they're full of vitamin C.  I love blueberries so much, that every time I go to either the grocery store or Costco (always at Costco) if they have a good price, I pick up some. The minute I get home I stick them in the freezer. They freeze wonderfully! 
When it's time to use them I take out what I need, put them in a strainer to rinse in hot water and they're plump and delicious as the day I bought them.
One of my most favorite fruits.
Yesterday, at Costco, while getting my blueberries I ran across a great cook book. I have a system at Costco.  Left side, right side, produce, frozens and.....books. Love looking at the books and
It's a good cookbook so far. I tried one of the recipes this morning but I changed a bunch of things on it and thought I would post my version. I cut out half the butter, used yogurt and added an extra egg. Here ya go..

Yummy Blueberry Breakfast Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 cups blueberries
Tablespoon of  flour
8 by 8 glass or metal pan

Heat your oven to 350 degrees for a metal pan, 325 for glass. Spray your pan with non-stick spray.
In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Rinse and drain your berries.
Using a mixer,  mix together the sugar and butter until well blended. Add your vanilla. Mix in each egg until very well blended. Mix it up good! Then add your yogurt, mix together.
Take your dry ingredients and your cup of milk and mix gradually together with the wet ingredients in the mixer. Try not to over mix but make sure it's blended well.
Put your blueberries in a small bowl and add about a Tablespoon of flour to the blueberries. You want your blueberries lightly covered with flour, so use a little more or less if you have to. This will keep your blueberries from sinking to the bottom.
Pour half the batter into the pan, take half of the blueberries and spread them around then take the rest of the batter and pour that on top. 
Then cover that with the rest of blueberries.
Bake for approximately 45-48 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.



It's really really good! Not too sweet and I was able to cut down on some of the fat. The yogurt makes it really moist. I don't feel guilty at all having this for breakfast.
Hope you try it and let me know how it works out! 
Eat your blueberries!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments or just say "Hi!"....