Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Blueberry Lemonade Oat muffins




Today is my son's 14th birthday and I'm amazed at how time will fly by without a care in the world. One day you wake up and that little itty bitty baby now has a man voice (kinda) and is almost as tall as me, and I'm tall! 
He had a friend over to play video games most of the night, but I was pretty surprised when they conked out at around midnight. 
My son loves to have people over night and the more the merrier. But, that means I get to cook breakfast for a bunch of teenage boys. 
I wanted to try something other than my go to pancakes and I had a bunch of blueberries in the freezer, so I thought I would wow them with my muffin skills. (not).
It's a super easy recipe with the muffins being light and tasty. I had some lemonade (the fresh stuff) in the fridge I needed to use up so I thought I would try it in this recipe. I love lemon and blueberry together and adding the lemonade gave a nice amount of flavor and kick of lemon at the end of the bite. The oatmeal gave  the right amount of texture. 

Blueberry Lemonade Oat muffins
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup lemonade
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries.
For the topping
1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan by lightly spraying with non-stick spray.
In a small bowl, combine the oats and the lemonade and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk those together and set aside.
In another medium bowl mix the oil  and egg together.
Add the combined egg and oil mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. The batter will be dry looking but keep mixing until it's mixed together.
Once the egg, oil and the dry ingredients are mixed well, add the combined lemonade and cooking oats and mix together. 
Gently fold in your blueberries.
Fill the muffin pan cups 2/3 full. There should be enough batter for 12 muffins. In a small bowl, combine turbinado sugar and cinnamon. (or regular sugar but turbinado gives more of a crunch) Sprinkle onto the muffins. 
Bake muffins for 18- 20 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Let cool for a few minutes.
Dig in!

My son said they were "delicious"! (no prodding from me, he said it all on his own) and he and his friend gobbled them all down.
A success and better than pancakes!
Although, I can make a mean pancake.


(Recipe slightly adapted from Allrecipes)


4 comments:

  1. Woohoo...you posted the recipe for the muffins you shared on Instagram. I thought I was going to have to stalk you for the recipe. Oh wait, I already do stalk you, LOL.
    I can certainly make these gluten free. Not good for my waist size!
    Thank you for sharing
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh let me know how they turn out and taste gluten free! Like they all say...(everyone..but me) moderation, everything in moderation. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I think I'm going to try and make some muffins today with Oat flour. Is that what you use to make baked goods?

      Delete
    2. No, on gluten free no oats, wheat, barley, and rye. I use rice flour or other such flour. And exactly I am excluded too, I ate that whole dump cake that I made of yours. Me by myself!
      But, that is what I would eat as lunch and then go outside and work in the yard. And then a snack and supper and treat! See in my mind that is fine because I was working it off! LOL

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! Would love to try them :)
    Kendra @ www.joyinourhome.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments or just say "Hi!"....