Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Homemade Granola

Are you ready for another homemade granola recipe?

 I've been going through my pantry, using up all the goods I have in there and found some coconut from Christmas that I bought for cookies and put to the side and forgot. I thought it would be fun to make some granola with it.  My husband always buys these boxes of granola to put on his yogurt every night (the granola, not the boxes) that are around 6 bucks a pop so I thought in the spirit of using up stuff, I would make him some granola and save a few dollars at the end of the week.

This year I've made a bit of a plan for myself to save some money.  I wonder how much money I flush down the drain every month in unused product. I tend to have a habit of buying food with good intentions and forgetting I have it and forget to make what I've planned for it. I'm also a poor planner, but that's another story. I'm just like my mother when I see something new at the grocery store, I like to try it. I used to attend a bible study that I would share my new bakes and cakes but I've since stopped going, I have no where to share my baking. Baking is a lot of fun for me but since it's just the three of us, my waistline is protesting and my freezer is overflowing. Annnnnd, I digress.

Anyway, back to granola.

I made this this morning and I'm pretty pleased with it. It got a little dark but it's still yummy tasting and pretty healthy too!



Set your oven to 375 F
You'll need two sheet pans since this makes a lot and spray them with non stick spray
In a large bowl combine
4 cups Old Fashioned Oats (not the instant)
2 cups sweetened coconut
2 cups chopped up almonds
1 cup chopped up walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup vegetable oil ( I used Smart Balance Veg. oil.)
1/2 cup honey

Mix this all together well and spread out on both sheets.
Bake for around 20 to 25 minutes stirring it around frequently. Watch it! It turns brown pretty quickly and can burn on the edges. I learned that the hard way.
Take it out to cool when it looks nice and toasty brown. When you stir it it'll feel soft but the granola will get crunchy as it sits and cools. After it cools, store it in an airtight container.
It's really good and not too sweet. Great to put on yogurt or even a salad for some extra crunch. I love crunch.

 Did I tell you that's one of my most favorite words? I love to say it.

CRUNCH!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments or just say "Hi!"....